Posted: Saturday, August 30th 2014 at 8:03am
Deadline nearing for Demorest finance director applications
By Rob Moore Editor
DEMOREST - The Demorest City Council plans to begin reviewing applications for the city's finance director position Tuesday night.
The full-time position, posted as city treasurer/financial officer, will pay $40,000 to $50,000 per year to start, according to a job posting provided by the city.
"We've got the final application deadline coming up for finance director for the City of Demorest," Mayor Rick Austin said.
The application deadline is 5 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 2, and said he is hopeful additional candidates will apply by that time.
"It would be nice to have a pile to go through," Austin said.
As of mid-week, the city had received only three applications: two from Cleveland and one from out of state, though the applicants were not identified.
"I know I did one phone call from someone from south Georgia ... that expressed some interest," Austin said.
The position is responsible for the overall adminstration of the finance function of the city, as directed by the mayor and city council.
Additionally, the city treasurer/financial officer also will oversee and manage grant applications and grant procurement.
City leaders expect applicants to meet the following qualifications:
* Bachelor's degree in business administration, public administration or a related field required. CPA, ACCA or equivalent preferred;
* Five years of experience in government accounting;
* A demonstrated knowledge of government entity reporting requirements, as well as experience with governmental software;
* Experience with cost accounting and project-based accounting;
* Knowledge of accounting and budgeting practices, applicable laws and regulations;
* Ability to determine if the city's financial regulations and procedures comply with local ordinances, Governmental Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GGAAP), state law, and auditing requirements;
* Ability to plan, organize and direct a comprehensive program of financial services; analyze and make management decisions; maintain complex financial records, and prepare reports using those records; supervise, plan, establish, assign and coordinate priorities;
* Ability to accurately forecast city government's future financial conditions;
* Knowledge of computer-based financial systems, administrative and managerial processes, and purchasing; and
* Must be bondable.
Additionally, candidates for the office must be able to communicate effectively verbally and in writing, must possess a valid Georgia driver's license, and must have proven leadership and management skills, as well as demonstrated integrity, flexibility and initiative.
The job posting cautions that the applicant must be able to function effectively in a work environment where the employee is subjected to "significant public scrutiny and be able to adequately and effectively address public questions and concerns as well as interact with members of the community."
Applications may be mailed to Mayor Rick Austin, P.O. Box 128, Demorest, GA 30535; or delivered to Demorest City Hall, 579 Georgia St., Demorest, GA 30535.
All applications are subject to the Georgia Open Records Act, city officials say.
© Copyright 2015 AccessNorthGa.com