Posted: Friday, August 22nd 2014 at 9:31pm
Harvick wins 5th Sprint Cup pole of season at Bristol
By Hank Kurz, Jr., AP Sports Writer
Kevin Harvick poses with his wife DeLana and son Keelan after scoring the pole award in qualifying for Saturday night's NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Bristol Motor Speedway. / Photo: Rainier Ehrhardt/Getty Images
BRISTOL, TN (AP) — Kevin Harvick has become the best qualifier in NASCAR's top series, at least for this season.
The veteran driver won the pole position for Saturday night's Sprint Cup Series event at Bristol Motor Speedway on Friday night. It's his series-high fifth top starting spot of the season, and just the 11th in 490 starts in his career.
"Faster cars," Harvick said with a wide grin. "That's it.'"
Harvick, in his first season with Stewart-Haas Racing, set a track record with a lap at 131.362 mph that knocked Jeff Gordon from the top spot. Gordon, the series points leader, will start second at 131.290.
"Any time you beat the 24 right now, things are going ok," Harvick said.
Gordon was equally pleased.
"I thought I had a really good laps that first run out," he said. "I came on the radio and I said, 'That is all I got.' When you go do that and the car is well balanced and you get a good lap, you know that it's up to somebody else to just take a little more risk and maybe get it, and Kevin did that."
Carl Edwards, who won here in the spring, will start third, with Kyle Busch fourth. Busch has won five times in his career on the 0.533-mile oval, but said he's concerned the lone groove around the top of the track could be problematic.
"I think the race is going to be frustrating — not a lot of passing," he said. "I think a lot of guys are going to be up around the top. Everybody is going to be up around the top."
Joey Logano and Jimmie Johnson are in the third row, with Kurt Busch and Greg Biffle in the fourth.
Biffle is the only one of the top eight qualifiers who has not sealed a spot in the championship. He will start the race 16th in points, but with three drivers trailing him by 24 points or fewer as they try to climb into the top 16.
"We'll keep working on it," he said. "Bristol is hard to judge, but our car is driving good and I can run pretty consistent laps, so I feel like we've got a solid top 10 car."
NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
Bristol Motor Speedway - Bristol, TN
Irwin Tools Night Race Qualifying - Aug. 22, 2014
(Car number in parentheses)
1. (4) Kevin Harvick, Chevrolet, 131.362.
2. (24) Jeff Gordon, Chevrolet, 131.29.
3. (99) Carl Edwards, Ford, 131.209.
4. (18) Kyle Busch, Toyota, 131.057.
5. (22) Joey Logano, Ford, 131.03.
6. (48) Jimmie Johnson, Chevrolet, 131.03.
7. (41) Kurt Busch, Chevrolet, 130.94.
8. (16) Greg Biffle, Ford, 130.869.
9. (2) Brad Keselowski, Ford, 130.504.
10. (9) Marcos Ambrose, Ford, 130.46.
11. (31) Ryan Newman, Chevrolet, 130.168.
12. (5) Kasey Kahne, Chevrolet, 130.009.
13. (11) Denny Hamlin, Toyota, 129.982.
14. (15) Clint Bowyer, Toyota, 129.894.
15. (55) Brian Vickers, Toyota, 129.877.
16. (20) Matt Kenseth, Toyota, 129.684.
17. (27) Paul Menard, Chevrolet, 129.684.
18. (1) Jamie McMurray, Chevrolet, 129.649.
19. (51) Justin Allgaier, Chevrolet, 129.561.
20. (88) Dale Earnhardt Jr., Chevrolet, 129.23.
21. (17) Ricky Stenhouse Jr., Ford, 129.169.
22. (47) AJ Allmendinger, Chevrolet, 129.16.
23. (78) Martin Truex Jr., Chevrolet, 128.848.
24. (10) Danica Patrick, Chevrolet, 128.753.
25. (14) Jeff Burton, Chevrolet, 128.477.
26. (3) Austin Dillon, Chevrolet, 128.262.
27. (23) Alex Bowman, Toyota, 127.988.
28. (95) Michael McDowell, Ford, 127.971.
29. (34) David Ragan, Ford, 127.886.
30. (98) Josh Wise, Chevrolet, 127.512.
31. (66) Brett Moffitt, Toyota, 127.47.
33. (83) Ryan Truex, Toyota, 127.436.
34. (26) Cole Whitt, Toyota, 127.36.
35. (37) Dave Blaney, Chevrolet, 127.081.
36. (36) Reed Sorenson, Chevrolet, 127.056.
37. (32) J.J. Yeley, Ford, Owner Points.
38. (7) Michael Annett, Chevrolet, Owner Points.
39. (40) Landon Cassill, Chevrolet, Owner Points.
40. (42) Kyle Larson, Chevrolet, Owner Points.
41. (33) David Stremme, Chevrolet, Owner Points.
42. (43) Aric Almirola, Ford, Owner Points.
43. (13) Casey Mears, Chevrolet, Owner Points.
© Copyright 2015 AccessNorthGa.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.