Posted: Sunday, August 17th 2014 at 8:08pm
Power dominates Milwaukee, takes IndyCar points lead
By IndyCar Media
Will Power takes a cream puff to the face from Juan Pablo Montoya in Victory Lane after winning Sunday's ABC Supply Wisconsin 250 at the Milwaukee Mile. / Photo: Chris Owens
WEST ALLIS, WI - Will Power led 229 laps to dominate the ABC Supply Wisconsin 250 at the Milwaukee Mile Sunday afternoon and take command of the Verizon IndyCar Series championship standings with two races left.
Power, the pole sitter in the No. 12 Verizon Team Penske entry, turned away challenges by Tony Kanaan and teammate Juan Pablo Montoya to win by 2.7949 seconds over Montoya on the historic Milwaukee Mile. Kanaan finished third for his fourth podium in the past five races and Target Chip Ganassi Racing teammate Scott Dixon placed fourth. Josef Newgarden, who was running third when he had to pit for fuel on lap 237, rebounded for his second consecutive top-five finish on an oval.
It was the first victory at Milwaukee, the first on a short oval and the first on an oval since Auto Club Speedway last October for Power, whose 24th career win matched Bobby Rahal and Ralph DePalma for 16th on the all-time list.
"The handling was awesome; we hardly made any adjustments over the whole race," Power said. "I give full credit to the team for giving me such a great car. These are my favorite tracks these days. I really enjoy the ovals - it's great fun. I hope we put a good show on for the fans."
Power came into the 16th of 18 races with a four-point lead over Helio Castroneves and heads to the GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma on Aug. 24 with a 39-point advantage (602-563) over his teammate, who finished 11th.
There are six contenders who remain eligible for the 2014 Verizon IndyCar Series championship, which will be decided for the ninth consecutive year in the MAVTV 500 finale Aug. 30 at Auto Club Speedway. Simon Pagenaud (510 points) finished seventh to move to third in the standings ahead of Ryan Hunter-Reay (494), whose No. 28 DHL Andretti Autosport car developed a mechanical issue on lap 167 and finished 21st. Montoya (488) and Dixon (472) also remain in the hunt.
"It's a perfect way to start this three-race chase," Power said. "If we have a couple more days like this - this course it's going to be a great finish. We're going to keep our head down, don't think of points, and execute."
Verizon IndyCar Series
Milwaukee Mile - West Allis, WI
ABC Supply Wisconsin 250 - Aug. 17, 2014
1. (1) Will Power, Dallara-Chevy, 250, Running
2. (3) Juan Pablo Montoya, Dallara-Chevy, 250, Running
3. (2) Tony Kanaan, Dallara-Chevy, 250, Running
4. (11) Scott Dixon, Dallara-Chevy, 250, Running
5. (5) Josef Newgarden, Dallara-Honda, 250, Running
6. (4) Ryan Briscoe, Dallara-Chevy, 250, Running
7. (16) Simon Pagenaud, Dallara-Honda, 250, Running
8. (15) Mikhail Aleshin, Dallara-Honda, 249, Running
9. (7) Ed Carpenter, Dallara-Chevy, 249, Running
10. (17) Jack Hawksworth, Dallara-Honda, 249, Running
11. (8) Helio Castroneves, Dallara-Chevy, 249, Running
12. (18) Sebastien Bourdais, Dallara-Chevy, 249, Running
13. (9) Marco Andretti, Dallara-Honda, 249, Running
14. (14) Graham Rahal, Dallara-Honda, 249, Running
15. (10) Takuma Sato, Dallara-Honda, 248, Running
16. (6) Charlie Kimball, Dallara-Chevy, 248, Running
17. (12) Justin Wilson, Dallara-Honda, 248, Running
18. (21) Sebastian Saavedra, Dallara-Chevy, 246, Running
19. (13) James Hinchcliffe, Dallara-Honda, 244, Running
20. (22) Carlos Huertas, Dallara-Honda, 243, Running
21. (19) Ryan Hunter-Reay, Dallara-Honda, 168, Mechanical
Winner's average speed: 145.243
Time of Race: 1:44:49.4611
Margin of victory: 2.7949 seconds
Cautions: 1 for 9 laps
Lead changes: 8 among 4 drivers
Power 1 - 57
Montoya 58 - 59
Carpenter 60 - 62
Power 63 - 121
Kanaan 122 - 132
Power 133 - 187
Kanaan 188 - 190
Montoya 191 - 192
Power 193 - 250
Point Standings: Power 602, Castroneves 563, Pagenaud 510, Hunter-Reay 494, Montoya 488, Dixon 472, Kanaan 425, Munoz 424, Bourdais 418, Andretti 400
© Copyright 2014 AccessNorthGa.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.