Posted: Friday, August 8th 2014 at 9:00am
Choquette paces World Crown Thursday practice session
By Brandon Reed Staff
Jeff Choquette led Thursday's opening practice session for this weekend's World Crown 300 at Gresham Motorsports Park with a lap at 113.66 mph. / Photo: Brandon Reed
JEFFERSON, GA - Jeff Choquette fired the first shots in the battle for the 2014 World Crown 300.
The West Palm Beach, FL driver put up the fastest time in Thursday’s opening practice session for the 31st annual running of the Super Late Model classic at Gresham Motorsports Park in Jefferson, GA. Choquette toured the high-banked half-mile speedway with a lap at 16.881 seconds, 113.66 mph.
Choquette has some unfinished business with the World Crown. In 2009, he was flagged as the winner of the first running of the race on the new GMP layout. However, Choquette, along with runner-up Max Gresham, both failed post-race tech, handing Paul Kelley a record fourth career World Crown victory.
Russell Fleeman, the 2008 World Crown champion, was second fastest on Thursday, turning a lap at 16.957 (113.157). The Dacula, GA veteran spent much of the test session at the top of the scoring pylon.
Defending Southern Super Series champion Daniel Hemric was third fastest, with Stephen Nasse fourth quick and Harrison Burton, son of NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver Jeff Burton, timing in fifth fastest.
Lilburn, GA’s Casey Roderick, Daniel Keene, Jr., Spencer Wauters, Spencer Davis and Donnie Wilson rounded out the top ten.
In all, 20 Super Late Models took part in Thursday’s opening test session.
Spencer, of Dawsonville, GA, made a little history himself Thursday. Spencer, who has been competing on the NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour, took several laps around the GMP half-mile in the Hillbilly Racing No. 79 modified as part of a tire test. It marked the first time since the track’s reconfiguration in 2009 that a NASCAR Whelen Modified has taken laps at the speedway.
Davis proved the open wheeled racers would be no slouches at the Jefferson speed plant, turning a fast lap in 16.9 seconds, 113.538 mph.
Preparations continue for the 31st annual World Crown 300 on Friday with the second pre-race qualifying session and the qualifying draw, with the World Crown slated for Saturday.
For more info, visit racegmp.com.
Gresham Motorsports Park - Jefferson, GA
World Crown 300 - Aug. 7, 2014
Thursday's Practice Results
1. Jeff Choquette - 16.881, 113.66 MPH
2. Russell Fleeman - 16.957, 113.157 MPH
3. Daniel Hemric - 16.962, 113.123 MPH
4. Stephen Nasse - 16.981, 112.997 MPH
5. Harrison Burton - 16.995, 112.904 MPH
6. Casey Roderick - 17.081, 112.335 MPH
7. Daniel Keene, Jr. - 17.035, 112.639 MPH
8. Spencer Wauters - 17.054, 112.513 MPH
9. Spencer Davis - 17.062, 112.46 MPH
10. Donnie Wilson - 17.062, 112.46 MPH
11. Landon Cling - 17.113, 112.125 MPH
12. T.J. Reaid - 17.117, 112.099 MPH
13. Brian Hoar - 17.208, 111.506 MPH
14. Kyle Grissom - 17.216, 111.454 MPH
15. Scotty Ellis - 17.222, 111.416 MPH
16. Will Gallaher - 17.251, 111.228 MPH
17. Travis Cope - 17.264, 111.145 MPH
18. Dennis Schoenfeld - 17.334, 110.696 MPH
19. Dalton Grindle - 17.405, 110.244 MPH
20. Ron Young - 17.507, 109.602 MPH
Link: Gresham Motorsports Park
Link: Southern Super Series
© Copyright 2014 AccessNorthGa.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.