Posted: Thursday, July 10th 2014 at 1:19pm
Child playing with lighter sparks Walmart fire
By B.J. Williams Administrator
A child playing with a lighter sparked a small fire inside a Lawrenceville Walmart. (Photo courtesy of Gwinnett County Fire Department)
LAWRENCEVILLE - A Walmart store in Lawrenceville was evacuated Wednesday afternoon after a fire broke out in the toy section of the store.
Gwinnett County Fire Capt. Tommy Rutledge reported the fire was started by a child who was using a lighter to open a box containing a toy. The child was not hurt, and a store employee was able to douse the fire with an extinguisher.
Rutledge said that about 100 customers and 65 employees were in the store at the time.
The store at 1400 Lawrenceville Highway was closed for a few hours for clean-up, according to Rutledge.
© Copyright 2015 AccessNorthGa.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.