Posted: Tuesday, June 17th 2014 at 10:40pm
Helen approves $2.75-million general fund budget
By Rob Moore Editor
HELEN - The Helen City Commission has approved the city's 2014-2015 budget, starting with more than $2.75 million in the general fund.
During Tuesday afternoon's meeting, the commission voted to approve $2,753,034 in the general fund, which incudes $26,080 from prior year fund balance.
The balanced budget also includes $805,900 in the water and wastewater fund; $750,000 in the hotel/motel tax fund; $1,010,600 in 2009 Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax revenues; $291,213 in the 2014 SPLOST Fund; $625,000 in the other capital projects fund; $5,000 in the police department technology fund; $413,600 in the grant fund; and $200 in the tree fund.
On the expenditure side, the city plans to break down its general fund as follows:
* General overhead - $948,235;
* Administration - $246,900;
* City commission - $13,300;
* Municipal court - $21,650;
* Community relations - $7,000;
* Fire department - $185,491;
* Welcome center - $21,222;
* Building and planning - $74,710;
* Public works - $476,441;
* Police department - $713,635; and
* Solid waste - $44,450.
On the expenditure side of the 8-percent hotel/motel tax collections, the breakdown is as follows:
* Transfer to general fund (60 percent of the 5 percent collected) - $281,250;
* Transfer to general fund (50 percent of the 3 percent collected) - $140,625;
* Contract with convention and visitors bureau (40 percent of the 5 percent collected) - $187,500;
* Contract with CVB (50 percent of the 3 percent collected) - $140,625.
City Clerk Marilyn Chastain said the commission can't set a final millage rate quite yet.
Chastain said she anticipates that if there are no substantial changes in valuation the city can meet its budget with a millage of 6.71 mills, down from 6.739 mills in the current year.
"We won't be able to set a final millage rate until we get a final tax digest from the county," Chastain said.
© Copyright 2014 AccessNorthGa.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.