Posted: Thursday, June 12th 2014 at 10:02pm
Lightning sparks house fire in Gainesville
By Bryan Pirkle Staff
GAINESVILLE - Hall County firefighters battled a house fire in Gainesville Thursday evening that was apparently ignited by a lightning strike.
According to Fire Marshal Scott Cagle, crews were called to the 6800-block of Grand Marina Circle near Horse Shoe Circle shortly before 6 p.m. Upon arrival, Cagle said firefighters discovered an approximately 4,000 square feet home that was displaying heavy amounts of smoke.
Crews worked quickly to extinguish the flames, and attempted to salvage any personal property on site by covering items with tarps. Cagle said an early damage estimate for the home was in the area of $150,000.
The fire was apparently sparked by a lightning strike that traveled through the electrical system in the garage, and Cagle said that no injuries were reported in the incident.
© Copyright 2015 AccessNorthGa.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.