Wednesday 6:19am
November 26, 2014
Currently 44°F
Posted: Thursday, June 12th 2014 at 10:02pm

Lightning sparks house fire in Gainesville

By Bryan Pirkle Staff
EMAIL STORY CONTACT EDITOR PRINT
click to enlarge
photo courtesy of HCFS
GAINESVILLE - Hall County firefighters battled a house fire in Gainesville Thursday evening that was apparently ignited by a lightning strike.

According to Fire Marshal Scott Cagle, crews were called to the 6800-block of Grand Marina Circle near Horse Shoe Circle shortly before 6 p.m. Upon arrival, Cagle said firefighters discovered an approximately 4,000 square feet home that was displaying heavy amounts of smoke.

Crews worked quickly to extinguish the flames, and attempted to salvage any personal property on site by covering items with tarps. Cagle said an early damage estimate for the home was in the area of $150,000.

The fire was apparently sparked by a lightning strike that traveled through the electrical system in the garage, and Cagle said that no injuries were reported in the incident.

Associated Categories: Homepage, Local/State News

© Copyright 2014 AccessNorthGa.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.


  • Click here
  • Click here
  • Click here
  • Click here
  • Click here
0.052518
icon
44°F
Gainesville, GA 30501
Overcast
Wind: ESE 4 mph
Dew point: 43°F