Posted: Saturday, April 26th 2014 at 7:00am
Mt. Airy honoring deploying National Guard group today
By Rob Moore Editor
MT. AIRY - The Town of Mt. Airy will hold its rescheduled Georgia Cities Day Parade and Celebration today, honoring members of the Georgia Army National Guard.
Celebrating this year's theme of "People. Place. Purpose.", the event will include vendors, children's activities, a parade, bingo with prizes, and the Mt. Airy Nationals car show featuring music by Rockin' Ray the D.J.
The day has been proclaimed "Service and Sacrifice Day" by Mt. Airy Mayor Gary Morris. The town will honor members of the 876th Engineer Company of the Georgia National Guard, who will be deploying to Afghanistan in about a month.
The schedule for the day includes:
* 9:15 a.m. – Parade lineup at Old Mt. Airy School at 1231 Dicks Hill Parkway;
* 10 a.m. – Parade begins down Dicks Hill Parkway to Main Street;
* Immediately after parade – Opening ceremony on the grounds of Mt. Airy Town Hall and the Mt. Airy Post Office, 869 Dicks Hill Parkway;
* Immediately following ceremony – Booths, car show, DJ, hamburgers and hotdogs by the Mt. Airy Masonic Lodge, children’s activities and Georgia National Guard climbing wall until 3 p.m.;
* 11 a.m.-2 p.m. - Bingo with prizes inside town hall.
Proceeds from the event, rescheduled from last week due to rain, will help purchase new playground equipment for Mount Airy Town Park.
Details: Mt. Airy Town Hall, (706) 778-6990.
© Copyright 2014 AccessNorthGa.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.