Posted: Saturday, March 29th 2014 at 10:00pm
Sato earns pole for IndyCar opener at St. Petersburg
By IndyCar Media
Takuma Sato and car owner A.J Foyt celebrate after Sato put Foyt's famed No. 14 on the pole for Sunday's IndyCar season opener at St. Petersburg. / Photo: Chris Jones
ST. PETERSBURG, FL - Takuma Sato earned the Verizon P1 Award for the Verizon IndyCar Series season-opening Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg with a lap of 1 minute, 1.8686 seconds on a quickly-drying 1.8-mile, 14-turn temporary street circuit.
Sato, driving the Honda-powered No. 14 ABC Supply car, earned his second pole start in his second season driving for A.J. Foyt Racing -- and second in a row when the starting lineup was set through the three rounds of qualifications. He qualified first for Race 1 at Houston in October, and qualifying for Race 2 was canceled because of rain.
The start of these rounds of qualifications was delayed more than three hours as a mid-afternoon rainstorm. The March 30 weather forecast is promising for the 110-lap race, which will be televised by ABC (3 pm ET).
"Over the course of the winter, we did really extensive winter test program," said Sato, who started second and finished eighth at St. Pete last year. "Everything worked out really well. We had a strong package last year here, but obviously there are quite a few changes on the car: tires, twin turbo engine. To come this weekend, qualifying, very dramatic weather change as well. Very pleased the league and promoters make possible for the qualifying session this evening because otherwise I would have to start middle of the pack (based on final 2013 entrant points)."
Tony Kanaan, making his debut in the No. 10 Target Chip Ganassi Racing car, was .2951 of a second back and was equally pleased as Sato about the effort.
"I think it has been like three years since I have been in the top six," said Kanaan, the 2013 Indianapolis 500 winner. "It feels really good. I can't thank the Target Chip Ganassi Racing guys enough. A lot of people made a lot of comments over the years because we struggled so much in qualifying on street and road courses and nobody was counting on that. I like to be the element of surprise. Nobody was talking about us at Indy last year and nobody was talking about this weekend."
Four teams were represented in the final session of six. Will Power, driving the No. 12 Verizon Team Penske car, had earned the pole the previous four years. He'll start fourth alongside Andretti Autosport's Ryan Hunter-Reay. Reigning Verizon IndyCar Series champion Scott Dixon will start fifth and Marco Andretti will start sixth. He has started sixth or seventh the past five years at St. Pete.
Rookies Carlos Munoz and Jack Hawksworth will occupy Row 4.
Verizon IndyCar Series
St. Petersburg Street Circuit - St. Petersburg, FL
Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg Qualifying - March 29, 2014
1. (14) Takuma Sato, Dallara-Honda, 01:01.8686 (104.738)
2. (10) Tony Kanaan, Dallara-Chevy, 01:02.1637 (104.241)
3. (28) Ryan Hunter-Reay, Dallara-Honda, 01:02.2167 (104.152)
4. (12) Will Power, Dallara-Chevy, 01:02.3955 (103.854)
5. (9) Scott Dixon, Dallara-Chevy, 01:02.4454 (103.771)
6. (25) Marco Andretti, Dallara-Honda, 01:02.9595 (102.923)
7. (34) Carlos Munoz, Dallara-Honda, 01:03.3955 (102.215)
8. (98) Jack Hawksworth, Dallara-Honda, 01:03.5738 (101.929)
9. (8) Ryan Briscoe, Dallara-Chevy, 01:03.6206 (101.854)
10. (3) Helio Castroneves, Dallara-Chevy, 01:03.6635 (101.785)
11. (17) Sebastian Saavedra, Dallara-Chevy, 01:03.8374 (101.508)
12. (20) Mike Conway, Dallara-Chevy, 01:03.9618 (101.310)
14. (77) Simon Pagenaud, Dallara-Honda, 01:12.3741 (89.535)
15. (7) Mikhail Aleshin, Dallara-Honda, 01:15.9111 (85.363)
16. (19) Justin Wilson, Dallara-Honda, 01:12.5890 (89.270)
17. (18) Carlos Huertas, Dallara-Honda, 01:16.8105 (84.363)
18. (2) Juan Pablo Montoya, Dallara-Chevy, 01:12.6994 (89.134)
19. (27) James Hinchcliffe, Dallara-Honda, 02:34.4862 (41.945)
20. (83) Charlie Kimball, Dallara-Chevy, 01:13.0048 (88.761)
21. (15) Graham Rahal, Dallara-Honda, No Time (No Speed)
22. (67) Josef Newgarden, Dallara-Honda, 01:13.1170 (88.625)
© Copyright 2015 AccessNorthGa.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.