Wednesday 11:21pm
July 30, 2014
Currently 72°F
Posted: Friday, February 14th 2014 at 12:59pm

Fire kills girl during power outage; candle blamed

By The Associated Press
EMAIL STORY CONTACT EDITOR PRINT
click to enlarge
MILLEN, Ga. (AP) Authorities say a 5-year-old east Georgia girl has died after a candle sparked a fire in her home, which had lost power after this week's ice storm.

Glenn Allen, a spokesman for the state fire marshal's office, says the girl's parents are both hospitalized for burns and smoke inhalation. The girl's 9-year-old brother escaped unharmed.

Allen says firefighters were called to the manufactured home in the Jenkins County town of Millen around 5:40 a.m. Friday. The town is about 50 miles south of Augusta, in an area hard-hit by power outages from the storm.
Associated Categories: Homepage, Local/State News

© Copyright 2014 AccessNorthGa.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.


  • Click here
  • Click here
  • Click here
  • Click here
  • Click here
0.044099
icon
72°F
Gainesville, GA 30501
Clear
Wind: North 0 mph
Dew point: 57°F