Saturday 11:09pm
March 28, 2015
Currently 41°F
Posted: Friday, February 7th 2014 at 3:53pm

Child, lighter start fire in Gainesville apartment closet

click to enlarge
GAINESVILLE - An apartment fire on Park Hill Drive Friday morning started in a closet where a young child was playing with a lighter, according to Gainesville Fire Inspectors.

Firefighters responded to the Norwood Apartments around 10:30 a.m. and spotted smoke coming from a rear window of Apartment 1-E.

The blaze was extinguished quickly and damages were limited to one room of the unit.

Gainesville Fire Marshal Chad Payne determined that the fire started when a juvenile was playing with a lighter in a closet.

"It would appear he was playing with the lighter in the bedroom closet and set some clothes on fire," Captain Keith Smith said.

The child was at home with his mother; both escaped the unit without injury. Damage estimates were placed at $10,000.

Associated Categories: Homepage, Local/State News

© Copyright 2015
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.

  • Click here
  • Click here
  • Click here
  • Click here
  • Click here
Gainesville, GA 30501
Wind: North 5 mph
Dew point: 14°F