Posted: Saturday, February 1st 2014 at 11:07pm
Wrestling: Lumpkin, Chestatee dominate 8-AAAA; send 11 each to Sectionals
By Jeff Hart Staff
GAINESVILLE -- Lumpkin County and Chestatee dominated the Area 8-AAAA Tournament Saturday at Chestatee High sending a combined 22 wrestlers into next week’s Class AAAA North Sectionals at Lanier High School.
The Indians and War Eagles each had 11 wrestlers advance to the Sectionals with both teams sending four area champions.
Lumpkin County won the team title with 236.5 points. Chestatee was second with 204 points. Johnson finished third with 155 points.
For Lumpkin County coach Brian Matthews, it was a welcome sight after finishing and second and third the past two seasons respectively.
“We’ve been working hard and we’re very pleased with how it turned out,” Matthews said. “We have a bunch of young guys and they really did a great job.”
The Indians had five freshmen in the lineup with one, Logan Brown at 106-pounds, finishing second in his weight-class. Zach Matthews (182) and Cole Mayo (195) both finished third.
“They really stepped up and scored some points. We probably don’t win it without them,” Matthews said.
Johnson had the next best showing sending eight to Sectionals but was not able to capture an individual title. Stephens County will send four.
The War Eagles had a particularly productive tournament winning four of their seven finals matches. Lumpkin County won just four of eight finals.
The War Eagles’ Austin Donaldson gave them their first area champion of the day rallying for a 7-3 win over Levi Leach of Eastside at 120-pounds. It was a repeat for Donaldson but it did not come without a fight. He had lost a 4-2 decision to Leach earlier in the season.
The match was tied 3-3 midway through the third period before Donaldson made his move.
“I knew it would be a tough match,” Donaldson said. “When he tied it I knew I couldn’t be in front of him and was able to get to the side and take him down. It feels good to win it again.”
Donaldson, a junior, also is looking for a better finish than last year’s seventh-place showing at Sectionals.
“I have more experience and I feel I’m better this year than last year. We’ll see how it goes,” he said.
Chestatee would end up winning its first three finals matchups, including a 4-3 upset at 126 where senior Christian Zapatero got a late reversal to knock off No. 1 seed Misha Felton of Eastside, who had beaten him in last year’s Area finals.
“I feel like all the hard work I’ve put in has paid off,” Zapatero said. “I was able to finally get him in a spot where I could turn it on him and it worked out. It feels great.”
Chestatee coach Cary Whitlow was all smiles after both wins.
“Those are big wins for us,” Whitlow said. “The guys who are with us are working hard in a tough sport. We’re having a good year with the lowest numbers we’ve had in several years. I can’t say enough about these guys.”
Marvin Cunningham completed the early trifecta for Chestatee getting two late takedowns in the third period to win the 138 title over Lumpkin County’s John Milsap, 5-3.
Lumpkin County led Chestatee 218.5 to 186 heading into the finals and placed eight in the finals. The War Eagles placed seven in the finals. No other teams placed more than three in the finals.
The top four in each weight class advance to the Sectionals.
Here are the individual results from Saturday’s action, by weight class:
1. Cody Bond, Madison Co., dec. 7-0
2. Logan Brown, Lumpkin Co.
4. Jonathan Alcala, Chestatee
1. Blake Wilson, Monroe Area, dec. 7-3
2. Tristan Duckworth, Lumpkin Co.
3. Austin Jackson, Walnut Grove
4. Corey Kindel, Stephens Co.
1. Austin Donaldson, Chestatee, dec 7-3
2. Levi Leach, Eastside
3. Bud Nguyen, Monroe Area
4. William Ray, Walnut Grove
1. Christian Zapatero, Chestatee, dec. 4-3
2. Misha Felton, Eastside
3. Thai Cao, Johnson
4. Josue Martinez, Lanier
1. Greg Hilliard, Lumpkin Co., maj. dec. 14-0
2. Tommy Luc, Johnson
3. Matthew McClellan, Chestatee
4. Matt Malcolm, Eastside
1. Marvin Cunnigham, Chestatee, dec. 5-3
2. John Milsap, Lumpkin Co.
3. Ismael Castro, Johnson
4. Greg Antepenko, Stephens Co.
1. Daniel Locklear, Lumpkin Co., maj. dec 15-3
2. Garrett Brader, Chestatee
3. Dylan Haney, Lumpkin Co.
4. Aaron Martinez, Johnson
1. Greg Williams, Lanier, maj. dec. 18-7
2. Andrew Davis, Lumpkin Co.
3. Zach Cheshire, Chestatee
4. Eric Smith, Madison Co.
1. Eddie Daniel, Lumpkin Co., dec 5-1
2. Trevor Comeaux, Chestatee
3. Jacob Ogi, Lanier
4. Blake Peeples, Stephens Co.
1. Victor Ramos, Lumpkin Co., dec. 10-3
2. Zack Garner, Lanier
3. Bo Gentry, Madison Co.
4. Garrett Harris, Walnut Grove
1. Mitchell Troutman, Eastside, dec. 5-3 OT
2. Devin Burns, Stephens Co.
3. Zach Matthews, Lumpkin Co.
4. Martin Mireles, Johnson
1. Jeremy Taylor, Lanier, pin
2. Yuriel Ramirez, Johnson
3. Cole Mayo, Lumpkin Co.
4. Misael Vargas, Chestatee
1. Joey Meruelo, Chestatee, pin
2. Keynote Martin, Madison Co.
3. Justin Cantrell, Lumpkin Co.
4. Ian Cundiff, Johnson
1. Gary Walker, Stephens Co., pin
2. Greyson Entrekin, Chestatee
3. Pedro Estrada, Johnson
4. Devonta Etchison, Monroe Area
Final team standings:
1. Lumpkin County -- 236.5 points
2. Chestatee -- 204
3. Johnson -- 155
4. Lanier -- 126
5. Madison County -- 108
6. Eastside -- 104
7. Stephens County -- 100
8. Monroe Area -- 72
9. Walnut Grove -- 60
© Copyright 2015 AccessNorthGa.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.