Posted: Friday, January 31st 2014 at 8:55am
NWS timeline of warnings, events before, during storm
By The Associated Press
Traffic was at a standstill all over the downtown Atlanta expressway system Tuesday night and into Wednesday morning. (AP photo)
PEACHTREE CITY - In the aftermath of an epic Atlanta traffic jam caused by a couple of inches of snow, Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal and Mayor Kasim Reed have fended off criticism from people who said the city and state were not prepared.
Now, the National Weather Service (NWS) has released a timeline of alerts it issued from Saturday through Thursday.
312 PM Sun, Jan 26, 2014
* Winter Storm Watch Issued for central Georgia - including south Atlanta metro from 10 AM Tuesday until 1 PM
315 PM Sun, Jan 26, 2014
* Briefing emailed to government and media partners
453 AM Mon, Jan 27, 2014
* Winter Storm Watch expanded to include the entire metro Atlanta area (link)
835 AM Mon, Jan 27, 2014
* Tweet issued "Conf increasing for significant snow moving in rush hour Tues. Dont wait to make plans for work/school"
100 PM Mon, Jan 27, 2014
* Webinar given to government and media partners, then disseminated to public via YouTube (pdf, youtube)
308 PM Mon, Jan 27, 2014
* Tweet issued "Winter precip will make travel risky across GA midday Tues into Weds. Not a bad idea to stay off the roads if you're able!"
322 PM Mon, Jan 27, 2014
* Winter Storm Warning issued for central Georgia - including south Atlanta metro area
* Winter Storm Watch remains in effect for rest of metro Atlanta
936 PM Mon, Jan 27, 2014
* Winter Storm Watch for north Atlanta metro area upgraded to a Winter Weather Advisory. The first paragraph included this text "Please understand that even a slight shift in the moisture could result in significant differences in snow amounts and may require an upgrade to a warning."
* Winter Storm Warning remains in effect for south Atlanta metro area and central GA
1115 PM Mon, Jan 27, 2014
* Updated briefing emailed to government and media partners
339 AM Tue, Jan 28, 2014
* Winter Storm Warning issued for the entire Atlanta Metro area
* Winter Storm Warning remains in effect for central Georgia
* Winter Weather Advisory issued for all of the remainder of north Georgia except 4 counties in far northwest Georgia (link)
1107 AM Tue, Jan 28, 2014
* Winter Weather Advisory issued for Northwest Georgia
* Winter Weather Advisory remains in effect for northeast Georgia
* Winter Storm Warning remains in effect for the rest of north Georgia including Atlanta and Athens, and for all of central GA (link)
112 PM Tue, Jan 28, 2014
* Upgraded all entire county warning area to a Winter Storm Warning (link)
1252 PM Wed, Jan 29, 2014
* Winter Storm Warning allowed to expire
* Civil Emergency Message issued for the Atlanta Metro area (link)
(Click on the link below to access the NWS' full summary of the Jan. 28 event including links to individual watches, warnings, etc. that were issued.)
Link: National Weather Service
© Copyright 2015 AccessNorthGa.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.