Posted: Wednesday, January 29th 2014 at 9:14am
Hall Co. 911 handles about 900 calls since snow storm began
By Ken Stanford Staff
GAINESVILLE - Hall County 911 had handled about 900 calls as of 4:30 this morning in the 15 hours since the snow storm struck the Gainesville area.
"Overnight Hall County received another 475 calls county wide, 73 of those being motor vehicle accidents," Hall County Emergency Management Agency (EMA) spokesman Scott Cagle said. "This is similar to the amount of calls received yesterday during a 4 1/2-hour period (starting at) the beginning of the event."
Cagle added "Reports this morning are that secondary roads and subdivisions are still affected with icy conditions. Once again no roads are 'closed' per se but we are strongly encouraging citizens to not get on the roads at all. Some roads you can see the icy spots and others have the black ice that are not visible until it is too late."
He said the problems are "all over the county and not in one particular area."
The Georgia Department of Transportation says that as of 9:00 the most hazardous roads in Northeast Georgia are in six of the mountain counties - Habersham, Lumpkin, Rabun, Towns, Union and White.
"Department of Transportation crews are active throughout affected areas but Georgia DOT is urging motorists to stay off of highways..." spokeswoman Teri Pope said in her 9:00 advisory. "The Department advises the public to refrain from all but such absolutely necessary travel until midday at the earliest."
Pope says traffic has hampered road-clearing efforts at times.
"(We) brought additional crews from other less-impacted areas of the state to Metro (Atlanta_ and activated private contractors to help catch up. While isolated icy areas remain this morning, department officials are hopeful minimal traffic Wednesday will allow for a full recovery."
As of 9:00, Pope said the following locations are hazardous, icing has been reported and crews are working in these areas:
· Dawson SR 183, SR 136 and SR 53 especially in higher elevations
· Forsyth SR 9, SR 20 and SR 369 especially bridges
· Gwinnett SR 20, SR 141, SR 316 especially bridges and I-85 south exit ramp to SR 141/Jimmy Carter Blvd and I-85 Collector Distributor ramps Pleasant Hill Road (Exit 105) to Old Peachtree Road (Exit 109)
· Habersham and Stephens SR 17 Alt. at Water Works Hill
· Hall SR 60/Thompson Bridge Rd at SR 136, SR 369 bridges and SR 365 bridges
· Jackson SR 334 and SR 336
· Lumpkin SR 9, SR 52 and SR 60
· Rabun SR 2/US 76 and SR 15/US 441, SR 28 and SR 197
· Towns SR 2/SR 515, SR 66, SR 75
· Union SR 180, SR 11/US 129 and SR 2/US 76
· Walton SR 81
· White SR 11, SR 115, SR 75 and SR 356
© Copyright 2015 AccessNorthGa.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.