Thursday 9:01am
July 24, 2014
Currently 75°F
Posted: Monday, November 11th 2013 at 5:44pm

Weekend fires prompt reminder from Barrow County firefighters

By Derreck Booth Editor
EMAIL STORY CONTACT EDITOR PRINT
click to enlarge
WINDER - Two fires over the weekend in Barrow County prompted county emergency officials to remind people of safety.

During the first call, fire damaged the attic of a house on Mary Carter Road in Auburn Saturday afternoon, according to Barrow County Fire Lt. Scott Dakin.

Fire officials said the blaze started in pipes coming from a recently installed wood-burning stove. Investigators believe the pipes were improperly sealed and installed. The fire also caused smoke damage throughout the home, according to Dakin.

Dakin said workers or homeowners installing heating systems of any type should follow manufacturer's recommendations.

"You should also properly seal all vent seals using proper materials," Dakin said.

On Sunday morning, firefighters responded to Hog Mountain Road near Statham, where a large storage building was completely involved in flames. In addition to the storage building, fire melted vinyl siding on a nearby home and burned about a quarter acre of grass.

Investigators believe the homeowner had been burning leaves earlier and failed to completely extinguish them.

Dakin said homeowners should also completely put fires out before leaving them unattended.
Associated Categories: Local/State News

© Copyright 2014 AccessNorthGa.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.


  • Click here
  • Click here
  • Click here
  • Click here
  • Click here
0.079966
icon
75°F
Gainesville, GA 30501
Mostly Cloudy
Wind: West 6 mph
Dew point: 71°F