Posted: Tuesday, August 6th 2013 at 9:59pm
Helen reschedules fireworks, centennial events
By Rob Moore Editor
HELEN - The City of Helen has announced revisions to its schedule of planned centennial celebration events.
At its meeting Tuesday, the Helen Centennial Committee discussed the revised event plans, including:
* Aug. 13 - Helen's 100-year birthday party at 6:30 p.m. in the Riverside Meeting Room of the Helendorf River Inn, sponsored by the Helen Arts and Heritage Center. Food, music, and surprises. Tickets are $10 per person.
* Aug. 24 - Musicfest at the Festhalle featuring Georgia artists Destitute Way, Clay Coley, and The Fiddleheads. Doors open at 5 p.m., and tickets to the family-friendly event are $10 per person.
* Aug. 31 - Helen Floating River Parade at 1 p.m., from Riverbend Motel (134 River St.) to the Festhalle (1074 Edelweiss Strasse). No charge and anyone can enter a tube float, but must register with the Helen Welcome Center at (706) 878-2181.
* Aug. 31 - Largest fireworks show in Helen's history as part of Labor Day weekend. This event originally had been planned for July 4, but was cancelled due to inclement weather.
* Sept. 6 - Kids' Lumberjack Sport Camp at the Helen Riverside Park, teaching area students the mechanics and history of sawmilling and lumberjacking. Children will participate in crosscut sawing and log rolling, and watch demonstrations of other events regarding lumberjacking.
* Sept. 7 - The All American Lumberjack Show at Riverside Park, featuring three 30-minute shows. Shows begin at 10 a.m., 2 p.m., and 6 p.m. Lumberjacks will perform chainsaw carvings, log rolling, axe throwing, and other skills presentation, along with a competition. Free admission for all.
* Sept. 7 - Helen Street Dance in the Market Platz from 7-11 p.m. featuring the Gina Gailey Band. Gailey is a semi-finalist for Georgia Female Country Artist of the Year, and will take the stage at 8 p.m. Free admission, with food and beer available for purchase.
* Sept. 14 - Oktoberfest Parade beginning at noon in downtown Helen, followed by the annual tapping of the keg.
* Oct. 8 - History presentation at 5:30 p.m. at the Helen Arts and Heritage Center at 25 Chattahoochee Strasse.
© Copyright 2014 AccessNorthGa.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.