Posted: Monday, February 18th 2013 at 5:26pm
Apartment house fire accidental
GAINESVILLE - Gainesville's fire marshall said a blaze that displaced four families Sunday has been ruled accidental.
Chad Payne said the fire at 989 Lanier Avenue started because a heating source was too close to combustible materials.
Interim Fire Chief Jerome Yarborough said the call came shortly after 5:00 p.m.
"Upon arrival, the structure was fully involved, flames showing from the roof. We got the fire out. It took about an hour," Yarborough said.
The 2700 square foot home had been converted into four apartments. All four families were able to escape injury.
Yarborough estimated an 80 percent loss of the home.
© Copyright 2013 AccessNorthGa.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.