Posted: Friday, January 25th 2013 at 7:45am
Winter Storm Warning still in effect
By Ken Stanford Staff
ATLANTA - The National Weather Service has upgraded its Winter Storm Watch for Friday in north Georgia to a Winter Storm Warning.
The text of the advisory is as follows:
... Winter Storm Warning in effect from 6 AM to 6 PM EST Friday...
The National Weather Service in Peachtree City has issued a
Winter Storm Warning for freezing rain... which is in effect from 6 am
to 6 PM EST Friday. The Winter Storm Watch is no longer in effect.
* Locations... portions of north Georgia... generally north and east
of a line from Ellijay to Cumming to Gainesville.
* Hazard types... freezing rain... possibly mixed with sleet.
* Accumulations... up to 1/4 inch of ice... especially on trees and
power lines. Little to no sleet accumulation.
* Timing... Friday morning through Friday night... with most of the
precipitation falling during the day on Friday.
* Impacts... ice and possible sleet will cause roadways and
sidewalks to become slippery... making travel dangerous
especially on bridges and overpasses. Ice may also accumulate
on power lines and trees... possibly leading to power outages.
* Winds... east 5 to 10 mph with gusts up to 20 mph
* temperatures... in the mid to upper 20s in the morning warming to
the lower 30s by afternoon.
A Winter Storm Warning for freezing rain means winter weather
conditions are expected or occurring. Moderate amounts of ice are
forecast that will make travel dangerous. Only travel in an
emergency. If you must travel... keep an extra
flashlight... food... and water in your vehicle in case of an
Click on the link below for more information.
Link: Georgia weather watches, warnings, advisories, etc.
© Copyright 2014 AccessNorthGa.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.