Posted: Saturday, December 1st 2012 at 10:41am
Christmas events on tap in the mountains this weekend
By Rob Moore Editor
UNDATED – Dec. 1 marks the beginning of most Christmas activities in northeast Georgia. Christmas parades and other activities abound. Following is a sampling of the events going on for families across the mountains region.
Through Jan. 1
• Christmas in the Park, free lighted driving tour, Cornelia City Park, Wyly Street, Cornelia. Dusk until 11 p.m. Details: (706) 778-8585 or www.explorecornelia.com.
Saturday, Dec. 1
• Deck the Halls at Unicoi State Park, 1788 Highway 356, Helen, is a holiday celebration that includes making holiday crafts, hayrides (weather permitting), a special menu in the park’s restaurant, and music in the lodge. (800) 573-9659.
• Festival of Trees at Unicoi State Park, 1788 Highway 356, Helen, featuring decorated trees and wreaths. The event is a project of the White County Chamber of Commerce to raise money for United Way of White County. (800) 573-9659. Event continues through Friday, Dec. 7.
• Bi-annual White County Holiday Tour of Homes at various homes throughout White County is a ticketed event from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Details: (706) 865-5356.
• Helen Christmas Parade at 2 p.m. featuring Santa, costumed characters and holiday cheer in downtown Helen. To participate in the parade, contact the Helen Welcome Center at (706) 878-2181.
• Annual Christmas in the Mountains Festival from 3 to 8 p.m. in downtown Cleveland is an old-fashioned event featuring children’s activities, arts and crafts, food booths, Christmas carols, hot cocoa and cookies, and more. Details: (706) 865-5356.
• Habersham County Christmas Parade (“Miracle on Main Street”) at 4 p.m. in downtown Cornelia. The parade will line up at 2:30 p.m. at Cornelia Elementary School. The parade will begin at 4 and will proceed up Old Cleveland Road, onto Main Street, then onto Clarkesville Street, ending at the Cornelia Depot. Entry fee is $10. Entry deadline is Nov. 28. Details: (706) 778-8585, ext. 280; or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Following the parade, Cornelia Mayor J.C. Irby will light the Cornelia Christmas Tree, then Santa will visit with children inside the Cornelia Depot.
• Christmas in the Mountains Lighted Parade at 7 p.m. in Cleveland. Details: (706) 865-5356.
Friday, Dec. 7
•Christmas in Mt. Airy, 6 p.m. Mt. Airy Town Hall. Details: (706) 778-6990.
Saturday, Dec. 8
• Nacoochee Village Christmas will feature Santa Claus, storytelling and more at Nacoochee Village, 7025 S. Main St., Helen, all day. Details: (706) 878-2181.
• Downtown Clarkesville Christmas & Holiday Market, (706) 754-2220 or visit www.clarkesvillega.com.
Thursday, Dec. 13
• Habersham EMC Make a Difference Drive will be accepting canned foods, new and gently used toys and coats for neighbors in need from 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Dec. 13 at the HEMC Community Room, Highway 115 West, Clarkesville. Donations will benefit Circle of Hope. Details: (706) 754-2114, or Valerie@hemc.coop.
Saturday, Dec. 15
• “There’s a Song in the Air: A festive evening under the twinkling lights of downtown Clarkesville,” 6-8 p.m., featuring lighting of the tree, caroling on the Square, photos with Santa, Windows at Woods, church bell medley, hot cocoa at the gazebo, and extended shopping hours. Details: (706) 754-2220 or visit www.clarkesvillega.com.
For events in the Gainesville/Hall County area, see related story.
© Copyright 2014 AccessNorthGa.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.