Saturday 12:10am
November 29, 2014
Currently 35°F
Posted: Wednesday, October 31st 2012 at 3:48pm

Chimney fire prompts safety reminder

By Derreck Booth Editor
EMAIL STORY CONTACT EDITOR PRINT
click to enlarge
WINDER - Barrow County firefighters were using a morning house fire Wednesday to remind people to have their chimneys cleaned and inspected.

According to Fire Lt. Scott Dakin, the fire started in one of the chimneys of the over 100 year old house in the 300 block of Carl Bethlehem Road. Responders got the call around 3:52 a.m.

Heavy smoke and fire were coming from the roof and rear windows of the house when firefighters arrived. The house sustained heavy damage and displaced a family of four.

In addition to maintaining chimneys and fireplaces, Dakin said it's important to be careful when discarding ashes.

"When cleaning their fireplaces after using them, they need to keep in mind that the ashes can be hot for several days and will need to be disposed of properly," Dakin said.
Associated Categories: Homepage, Local/State News

© Copyright 2014 AccessNorthGa.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.


  • Click here
  • Click here
  • Click here
  • Click here
  • Click here
0.051008
icon
35°F
Gainesville, GA 30501
Clear
Wind: North 0 mph
Dew point: 24°F