Posted: Thursday, August 30th 2012 at 6:34pm
Smoke forces evacuation at Baldwin Elementary
By Rob Moore Editor
Baldwin Elementary School was evacuated briefly Thursday after smoke from a fan motor activated the fire alarm. (Photo/Rob Moore)
BALDWIN – There was smoke but no fire at Baldwin Elementary School in Habersham County Thursday.
“There was an evacuation of our building today due to a problem with a heating and air conditioning unit,” a memo to parents from Principal Vicki Wade states. “The HVAC fan motor malfunctioned, allowing smoke to enter the building through a supply duct. The smoke caused the fire alarm to sound and the building was evacuated.”
Firefighters from Baldwin, Habersham County and Lee Arrendale State Prison responded, arriving quickly. Baldwin Police Department and the Habersham County Board of Education also responded.
“The students were all out of the building in less than two minutes and everyone was accounted for,” Wade said Thursday.
Baldwin Police Officer Daniel Seeley, who was the second person to arrive after the alarm was dispatched, praised school personnel for their prompt evacuation of the facility.
“They did an outstanding job of getting the kids out and making sure everyone was accounted for,” he said."Their work with fire drills paid off. Getting them out in less than two minutes is exceptional."
Habersham County School System officials and maintenance personnel also went to the school, working with firefighters to locate and isolate the problem.
“The fire department determined there was no fire and we were allowed to return to normal activities as soon as they gave us the all clear,” Wade’s memo states. “Our teachers and students did a great job of evacuating just as they have practiced during drills.”
© Copyright 2014 AccessNorthGa.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.