Posted: Sunday, August 12th 2012 at 8:57am
Barrow Co. house fire sparked by kids playing with fire
WINDER - Investigators have determined that a late afternoon house fire Friday in Barrow County was caused by a child playing with fire.
The blaze occurred in the 100 block of Smith Mill Road.
“Firefighters responded and found a two story home with smoke showing from one of the rooms on the second floor,” said Battalion Chief Mike Stoops. “Firefighters were able to make an aggressive interior attack and bring the fire under control quickly.”
The fire damaged the bedroom where the fire started and there was smoke damage throughout the home. According to Chief Fire Investigator, Lt. Blair Darst, the fire was caused by a child playing with an "ignition source."
“We want to remind citizens to keep ignition sources such as matches and lighters out of the reach of children,” said Public Information Officer Lt. Scott Dakin. “Youth playing with ignition sources are one of the leading causes of human act fires.”
Associated Categories: Local/State News
© Copyright 2013 AccessNorthGa.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.