Monday 2:15am
March 02, 2015
Currently 45°F
Posted: Monday, July 16th 2012 at 10:30am

Habersham apartment damaged by fire, resident taken for treatment

By Rob Moore Editor
click to enlarge
Firefighters check to make sure all flames have been extinguished in a Cornelia apartment early Saturday. (Photo/Vicki Ash/Habersham County Fire Department)
CORNELIA – A Cornelia man was taken by ambulance to Habersham Medical Center early Saturday after his apartment caught fire.

Habersham County Fire Department Lt. Dwight McNally said the fire, at 450 Camp Creek Circle, Cornelia, was reported at 1:22 a.m. Saturday.

Personnel from Habersham County Station 12 (View), Station 14 (Glade Creek) and Cornelia Fire Department responded. When they arrived, smoke was showing from the door and window.

Because they were unsure if anyone was inside, firefighters searched the apartment, McNally said. The occupant already had made it out.

“The refrigerator was the cause,” McNally said. “There was a short in the refrigerator and it caught fire.”

Damage was limited to the one downstairs apartment and its contents.

The resident suffered chest pains, McNally said.

Firefighters were on the scene until about 2:30 a.m.

Associated Categories: Homepage, Local/State News

© Copyright 2015
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.

  • Click here
  • Click here
  • Click here
  • Click here
  • Click here
Gainesville, GA 30501
Wind: West 6 mph
Dew point: 44°F