Posted: Wednesday, February 4th 2004 at 11:01am
Cagle's school tax reform bill passes state senate
By by Ken Stanford
ATLANTA - The Georgia State Senate has approved legislation offered by Senator Casey Cagle of Gainesville giving local school boards more options in spending sales tax revenues.
Currently, the one percent Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax (SPLOST) for education may be used only for school construction and debt reduction.
Cagle's bill would give school boards the option of using the money for maintenance and operation - which would then be rolled back in property taxes. Cagle says it would also allow school boards greater flexibility in addressing their needs.
The resolution gives local school boards three options in spending their tax revenues. Option I would use 100% of the revenues for construction; option II allows 25% to be used for maintenance and operation, leaving 75% for construction; and, option III would allow 100% to be used for maintenance and operation.
Associated Categories: Local/State News
© Copyright 2013 AccessNorthGa.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.